DescriptionThe West Koot Route can be accessed by three different ferry rides: Upper Arrow Lake, Lower Arrow Lake and Kootenay Lake at Balfour (Hwy #3A). Let's begin this tour near the village of Nakusp.
Upper Arrow Lake Ferry to Nakusp on Highway #23 is 49 km / 30 mi.
Lower Arrow Lake Ferry to Nakusp on Highway #6 is 57 km / 35 mi.
During the Silvery Slocan mining boom, Nakusp was a major transportation hub. Today the village offers a lovely downtown, great fishing, a range of overnighting options, a waterfront promenade and three wonderful hot springs.
- McDonald Creek Provincial Park is a holiday destination with sandy beach, boating and fishing; 10 km south on Highway #6
- Hot springs include Nakusp, Halcyon (north of the village on Hwy #23) and Halfway River (back-country access).
- Valkyr Adventures features lodge based alpine hiking trips.
Nakusp to New Denver is 46 km / 28 mi south on Highway #6.
You've now connected with the Silvery Slocan Driving Route. Follow its itinerary if you'd like to head south on Highway #6 through the Slocan Valley and back up through Nelson, Ainsworth Hot Springs and Kaslo.
Kaslo to Meadow Creek is 40 km / 25 mi north on Highway #31.
- Kootenay Lake Provincial Parks (Lost Ledge and Davis Creek) are beautiful parks on the west shore of Kootenay Lake with beach access and camping.
- Meadow Creek offers exciting Lardeau River whitewater rafting for all ages. Lardeau Valley Historical Museum showcases local artifacts.
Meadow Creek to the village of Trout Lake is 100 km / 62 mi.
Meadow Creek to Gerrard (south end of Trout Lake) is on a wide, straight and flat gravel road.
- Goat Range Park along the way is a large wilderness protected area.
Alongside Trout lake from Gerrard to the village of Trout Lake, the gravel road narrows. It is one lane in places, includes four hairpin turns, has pull out bays and may not be suitable for RVs. Watch for logging trucks.
- Fish for rainbow trout in Trout Lake.
- Services at the village of Trout Lake include a campground, boat launch, store and gas station with vintage gas pumps.
Travelling north from Trout lake will take you to the Upper Arrow Lake Ferry at Galena and Highway #23.