Explore local history at the Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre. The museum offers displays on Rossland’s social, cultural and sports history.
- Learn about Ross Thompson and his efforts to turn a small mining community into the vibrant city it is today.
- Stop by the Geology section to learn about mineral formations from around the globe.
- Dive into the rich history of skiing in the Rossland area, from the first ski competitions with Olaus Jeldness to the Rossland and RED Mountain ski clubs.
- Check out the Nature Wall to discover some local flora and fauna.
- Learn about the Consolidated Mining & Smelting Company and its transition through time, from its development in 1896 to the industrial powerhouse it is today as Teck Trail Operations.
- See how Rossland’s West Kootenay Power and Light Company developed some of the first power systems in North America.
- Located on the Black Bear / Le Roi Mine site. It’s designated a Kootenay Mining Region National Historic Event site. In the summer, explore Rossland’s industrial history at the outdoor exhibits. Check out artifacts like the rope drive compressor and CPR caboose and stop by the Geology building and Le Roi Toolhouse to learn about the practices and tools used t mine the vast quantities of gold and other minerals from the depths of Red Mountain.
- Finish off your visit by trying your hand at gold panning.
Regular hours: Tuesday to Saturday, 10am to 5pm.
Summer hours: Open 7 days a week, 10am to 6pm.
Outdoor Tours run daily during the summer at 11:30am and 2:30pm.
Each Tour is about 1 hour; ending with a gold panning demonstration.
Indoor Tours are by appointment during the winter.
Group/School Tours & Event bookings are available outside reg. hours.
Research Room available by appointment.
Located at the museum, for visitor travel information needs. Displayed are provincial accommodation guides, road maps, travel & camping guides and more. The Centre also free WiFi, coffee/tea by donation, concession snacks and accessible public washrooms & RV parking.
They acknowledge that they live and work on unceded Sinixt Territory.